Care and Support Advocacy

Changes brought in by the Care Act means that any decisions about your care will consider your well-being and what is important to you so that you can stay healthy and remain as independent as possible. To do this, it is important for you to be fully involved in decisions about your care and support needs.

Are you eligible for care and support advocacy?

You may be eligible to get an advocate if you do not have any friends or family to support you and you will find it very hard to:

  • Understand what is happening and the choices that you have
  • Decide what care and support you need
  • Tell people what you want

Advocacy will be available during:

  • Your care and support needs assessment
  • Your care and support planning
  • Your care and support reviews
  • And for any safeguarding processes – if someone thinks that you may be unsafe or at risk of harm.

Advocacy is available if you live at home, in a care home or hospital, or if you are in prison.

You may also be eligible for advocacy if you are a carer of an adult or a carer of a child in transition.

How to get care and support advocacy

CAA leafletsIf you meet the eligibility requirements, you will need to be referred to our service by your local council – adult social services – or other organisations employed by the council to make referrals.

If you want to understand more about the service and who is eligible, please do contact us and talk to a member of the team.

Care and Support Advocacy – Leaflet
Care and Support Advocacy – Easy Read Leaflet
Care and Support Advocacy – Poster

Are you looking for information for a friend or relative?

Some people find making decisions about health and care needs very difficult. The Care Act gives the right for eligible people to get an independent advocate them to help them:

  • understand the care and support process
  • be actively involved in discussions and make their own decisions about their care and support needs
  • challenge plans made if they do not take account of the person’s wishes or feelings.


Independent advocacy is available for people who do not have any friends or family (an appropriate individual) available to support and facilitate their active involvement in their own care and support process.

People who are already providing paid-for care will not be able to support the person in this role.

Your local council will be able to talk to you about what friends and family members can do to support someone fully within their care and support process.

In some cases, a person may be entitled to an independent advocate as well as a family member or friend. This is when:

  • Someone has been placed in a hospital for over 4 weeks or a care home for over 8 weeks and the local council agrees that it would be in the person’s best interest to have an advocate
  • There is a disagreement between the local council and the friend or relative who is support a person in their care process and both parties agree it would be beneficial for the person to get an advocate.

Further information and Self Help Tools